Friday 23 September 2016

Awards and Thanks

I am no person to toot my own horn, but I thought it was high time to address the awards I received after Mongoose screened and I crossed the big stage of no return.

I received a nomination for the President’s Media Arts Award, received an award for Excellence in Animation Emily Carr 2016 and the Wacom Technologies Award for Excellence in Animation for Mongoose at the Tight Shorts screening at Emily Carr. I also received the John C. Kerr Chancellor Emeritus Award in Media Arts at graduation.

I can't even begin to express what they mean to me. Since I was less tall than I am now, I've struggled with self-doubt and recrimination, as most do. Often times it feels like I will never, ever make something I think is worthwhile, never make someone feel the way I feel when experiencing my favourite art. An award will not entirely change the make-up of my psychology, it cannot. That's something I must strive daily to defeat. But when I look at those awards, I am reminded that there are people who do support me and my work, who were always there with advice and criticism and praise, who have talked about me and believe in my potential and want to give me something to remember that one special day, a day when something I made and struggled towards was liked.   

When I see those pieces of paper, I think of all the other papers behind them: the sketches, the crumpled scripts, the endless, endless thumbnailing. But there were also the thoughtful critiques, written notes and corrections, marked essays and private meetings of long conversation and a thousand post-its. I think of all the people who never gave up on me, who even after graduation have continued to support and guide me. There is no way I could have made it here without Lorelei Pepi, Martin Rose, Megan Parker, my brother and parents, my friends and teachers in Edinburgh, and all the other guides, mentors, companions and comrades I’ve somehow found in the night. I don’t know how you put up with me, but I’m so glad to call you a part of my life. Thank you for being so generous with your effort, time, and self. There is not enough schmaltz in the world to express my gratitude and happiness.

If I must toot my own horn, let it be understood that I would have never been able to read the sheet music without a teacher, and I would have never known if I was any good without someone to play for.
One of the earliest pieces of concept art for Mongoose. I stumbled across it while looking through old work. It’s so weird, looking back. There was just so many places it could’ve gone. Including nowhere. I'm so proud to have finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment